A good air filter is the first defense line against debris and dirt that is kicked off when you mow. The air filter helps in preventing dirt from having its way into the engine, particularly through the carburetor. Over the years, I have developed the habit of cleaning my lawn mower air filter or completely replacing it when it gets damaged. Doing this always helps in improving the overall performance of my mower.
The lawn mower’s air filter, which is located close to the upper part of the engine, has a covering that is in a plastic or metal shroud. This shroud is further secured by a snap fitting or a screw in some cases. There are different types of lawnmower air filters in the market today, and some of them are made of form and require oil while others are made of paper. There are also some air filters that are hybrid; that is, they are made of foam, which serves as a pre-filter, and then the paper element, which serves as the main filter.
Cleaning the lawn mower air filter, irrespective of the type is a very easy thing to do, and this can be achieved by using the following steps:
- The engine and all the moving parts should first be stopped before you start with anything. The engine must have also cooled down.
- Disconnect the spark plugs by removing the spark plug wire.
- Unscrew the housing that contains the air filter and remove the air filter. Use liquid soap or hot water to clean the air filter and remove the grease. Remove water from the filter as much as you can when rinsing it.
- Use sufficient motor oil to dab the filter. It is important to note that excess oil might turn out to be harmful to the exhaust. Therefore, it is very important to remove the excess oil by squeezing it out.
- Remove every form of debris from the rubber gasket, and also ensure that the rubber gasket does not have any tears. Replace the rubber gasket if you notice that it is not able to seal when the filter is returned to it tightly.
- Neatly place the clean filter and cover it.
Remember that the lawn mower air filter is the main defense mechanism for particles, especially airborne particles. Therefore, it is important always to maintain the air filter to make it last for a longer period. Another important thing is to ensure that you know the type of air filter your mower makes use of. This would help you to know the exact type of maintenance it would need.